The first settlers of Ipswich were given rights to use of the Common land. Unfenced tillage lots beyond the residential area were assigned in areas set apart for this use, including the area of Newmarch Street which was known as Manning's Neck.
Year: 2022
Tricentennial & 17th Century Day Celebrations
Photos from Ipswich 17th Century Day, Olde Ipswich Days, the 300th Anniversary of the founding of Ipswich, and the Town's Tercentenary Celebration in 1930.
Diamond Stage
In 1673, two fishermen from the Isles of Shoals, Andrew Diamond and Harry Maine, arrived together in Ipswich. Mr. Diamond built a platform for salting and shipping fish, and became quite successful. The location is still known today as Diamond Stage.
The Bridges of Ipswich
Excerpts from Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, by Thomas Franklin Waters "The stone bridges which span the Ipswich river with their graceful arches are picturesque and interesting. The readiness with which the Town proceeded to build the latter two stone bridges is in singular contrast with the belligerent opposition to the earliestย ones. Footbridge from… Continue reading The Bridges of Ipswich
Old Toryism, Mock Federalism & the Essex Junto
Baptist minister "Citizen Pottle" gave a toast, "To the Venerable Town of Ipswich. May it be purged of all old Toryism and mock Federalism." As the other ministers were indeed Federalists, his toastsย aroused suspicion that the whole celebration was a spirited demonstration of Baptist enthusiasm.
Argilla Road
The South Green was long known as School House Green. From there, historic Argilla Road crosses pastures and deep woods, then opens up to a scenic vista of the Great Salt Marsh and the ocean on its way from South Green to Crane Beach.
The Great Agawam Stable Fire
Written by Harold Bowen in 1975 In the days of stagecoaches, there were several inns along the old Bay Road and High Street. These inns also provided stables in which to house the horses.. One of the later hotels was the Agawam House on North Main Street. In 1806 Nathaniel Treadwell bought land and a… Continue reading The Great Agawam Stable Fire
East Street
The abrupt change in the name of High Street to East Street at the intersection with North Street is odd unless one knows a bitย of history. When Ipswich was laid out in the 1600s, town center was Meetinghouse Green. ย A road headed south and crossed the river -- it was named South Main Street. ย It… Continue reading East Street
Washington and Liberty Streets
Gravel Street and the gravel pits are shown in the 1832 Philander map of Ipswich. One of the older established ways in town, Washington Street may have started as a footpath for Native Americans long before John Winthrop and the first settlers arrived. Map of Ipswich in a 1909 article by M. V. B. Perley, Millend Ipswich:… Continue reading Washington and Liberty Streets
The Temptations of John Dane, a Declaration of Remarkable Providences
This handwritten narrative from 1682 is the personal memoir ofย John Dane, who immigrated to Ipswich by 1638.
Pingreyโs Plain, the Gallows Lot
Long before the intersection of Mile Lane and High Street became famous for the Clam Box, it was known as Pingreyโs Plain, and was where the wicked were hung.
The Railroad Comes to Ipswich, December 20, 1839
The stagecoach era ended abruptly when the Salem tunnel opened, and two days later on December 20, 1839, a train from Boston made its first passage through Ipswich. The opening of the railroad and the end of stagecoach travel led to the decline of Ipswich as one of the most important towns of Massachusetts.
The Ipswich Town Farm, 1817-1928
Ipswich established its first poorhouse in 1717, and until then the poor and incapacitated were simply let out to the lowest bidder.ย In 1817 the town voted to build a town poor farm on what is now Town Farm Road.
Oh, Wintry Christmas of my Youth!
It's popular to wax nostalgic of a time and place where the winters were colder, the snows deeper, and the pace of life more manageable. For those of us lucky enough to grow up in Ipswich, these things were mostly true.
The Ipswich Riverwalk Mural
In 2005 EBSCO Publishing commissioned artist Alan Pearsall to paint a 2,700-square-foot mural on one of the old mill buildings occupied by the company in Ipswich. The mural is the centerpiece of the town's Riverwalk.
Building Wooden Ships
Shipwright Harold A Burnham comes from a family who have been building wooden boats in Essex MA for several generations. Produced by Blake Road Productions LLC for the Massachusetts Cultural Council.