This Ipswich neighborhood has historically had a close social connection with neighboring Rowley. Jewett's mill was created in the 17th Century, and historic houses still line the street.
Tag: neighborhood
Market Street
Photos of Market St. from the present day back to the early days of photography.
Lords Square
Lord's Square is not a square at all, and no one knows the right way to spell it. The bewildering intersection abuts the Old North Burying Ground and the largest collection of First Period houses in America.
County Street
County Street is in the Ipswich Architectural Preservation District andย has some of the oldest houses in town. The section between East and Summer Streets was originally called Cross St, and the section between the County Street Bridge and Poplar Street was known as Mill St. The roads were connected when the County Street Bridge was… Continue reading County Street
Hammatt Street, Brown Square and Farley Brook
Until the second half of the 19th Century, much of the area bounded by Central Street, Washington Street, Mineral Street and Market Street was a wetland with an open sewer known as Farley Brook running through it.
Linebrook Parish
This remote area was originally known as Ipswich Farms. After the residents began pressing for their own church, the Massachusetts General Court on June 4, 1746, created the Linebrook Parish, the boundries of which were defined by 6 brooks and lines connecting them. The community had a church, store, school and its own militia.
History of Little Neck
The History of Little Neck by Richard C. Betts, with photos from the 19th through the 21st Centuries.
The Hovey Clan and Knowlton’s Close, a 19th Century Neighborhood
In 1844, John Sawyer sold to Josiah Caldwell an undeveloped tract known as "Knowlton's Close." Caldwell sold the land in house lots, where houses constructed in the popular vernacular Greek Revival style still stand today.
South Main Street
In March 1692 the Selectmen laid out 23 small lots with the condition that the owners not encumber the highway, provide drainage to the river and paving for foot travelers, and "keep horses from spoiling the same.โ
Argilla Road
The South Green was long known as School House Green. From there, historic Argilla Road crosses pastures and deep woods, then opens up to a scenic vista of the Great Salt Marsh and the ocean on its way from South Green to Crane Beach.
East Street
The abrupt change in the name of High Street to East Street at the intersection with North Street is odd unless one knows a bitย of history. When Ipswich was laid out in the 1600s, town center was Meetinghouse Green. ย A road headed south and crossed the river -- it was named South Main Street. ย It… Continue reading East Street
Washington and Liberty Streets
Gravel Street and the gravel pits are shown in the 1832 Philander map of Ipswich. One of the older established ways in town, Washington Street may have started as a footpath for Native Americans long before John Winthrop and the first settlers arrived. Map of Ipswich in a 1909 article by M. V. B. Perley, Millend Ipswich:… Continue reading Washington and Liberty Streets
Summer Street
Summer Street may be the oldest public way in Ipswich, and in the earliest days of the settlement was called Stony Street, Annable's Lane, or simply "The Way to the River. "
Market Square
Market Square is the intersection of North Main, South Main, Market and Central Streets in Ipswich, and is sometimes referred to as Five Corners
Lakemans Lane and Fellows Road
One hundred years ago, Lakemans Lane was a narrow dirt road lined by stone walls. You can still see the imprint of the pastures and fields that once marked the original properties.
Depot Square
The Eastern Railroad ran from Boston to Portland, continuing to Canada and was the primary competition of the Boston and Maine Railroad until it was acquired by the B&M in the late 1880s to become the B&M's Eastern Division. The Ipswich Depot sat at the location of the Institution for Savings at Depot Square.