A grassy strip near the intersection of Topsfield and Mill Roads belonged to Crocker Snow, an aviation pioneer. He received Massachusetts Pilot License No. 5 in 1927, signed by Orville Wright.
Author: Gordon Harris
Ipswich, the Brookfield Massacre and King Philip’s War
Arrival of the English
The Middle Circumferential Highway (That Never Happened)
In1968, Mass DPW proposed an additional beltway around Boston that would have cut through the Ipswich River Sanctuary, Bradley Palmer State Park, Appleton Farms, the Pingree Reservation and Manchester-Essex Woods. Plans were eventually abandoned because of resistance from communities that would have been affected.
The Amazing Story of Hannah Duston, March 14, 1697
Descendants of John and Judith Gator Perkins of Ipswich
The Lord-Harris House, 52 High Street
In 1660, Henry Kingsbury, who arrived with John Winthrop in 1630 on the ship Arbella, sold a house lot at todayโs 52 High Street to Robert Lord, the son of early Ipswich settlers Robert and Mary Waite Lord. Architectural details indicate, however, that the oldest part of this double house dates to after 1716, when… Continue reading The Lord-Harris House, 52 High Street
41 Turkey Shore, the William Howard House
William Howard was born in 1634 and is believed to have married Tabitha, the daughter of his neighbor Robert Kinsman, about 1673. Nothing more is known about him, other than that his profession was making felt and felt hats. In 1679, he bought this lot from Daniel Rindge, with the 1638 home of Thomas Emerson… Continue reading 41 Turkey Shore, the William Howard House
The Reginald Foster House, 6 Water St.
In 1657, Roger Preston sold this lot with a house on it to Reginald Foster, who arrived in Ipswich in 1638 with his wife Judith Wignol, five sons, and two daughters. The existing house was once attributed to Preston, but the oldest part was likely constructed by Reginald Foster's son Deacon Jacob Foster after 1681,… Continue reading The Reginald Foster House, 6 Water St.
The 1735 Benjamin & Ann Grant House, 47 County St.
The land on which this house sits was part of a large grant to John Proctor and was divided into lots after Proctor moved to Chebacco. In 1735, Joseph Burnham sold an empty corner of his homestead to Benjamin Grant, and Grant soon constructed the first section of the house. The front faรงade is asymmetrical,… Continue reading The 1735 Benjamin & Ann Grant House, 47 County St.
The Dennis-Dodge House, 10 County St.
The 17th-century home of Thomas Dennis, the famous 17th-century joiner, and his wife, Grace, who died in 1686, is at 7 County Street. They had three children: Thomas, who died young, John,ย andย Elizabeth, who married Ebenezer Hovey. In 1685, Thomas Dennis purchased the lot at 10 County Street for his โnew dwelling house,โ and the property… Continue reading The Dennis-Dodge House, 10 County St.
The Edward & Faith Brown House, 27 High St.
The Ipswich Historical Commission awarded the 2025 Mary P. Conley Preservation Award to the owners of the historic Edward Brown House at 27 High Street. Edward Brown arrived in Ipswich with the early settlers, married Faith Lord, and served as a marshal for the town. The eastern half is believed to have been constructed in… Continue reading The Edward & Faith Brown House, 27 High St.
The Hanging of John Williams and William Schooler, July 1637
In 1637, two men convicted on separate counts of murder were executed in Boston on the same gallows.ย John Williams was convicted of killing John Hoddy near Great Pond in Wenham on the road to Ipswich. William Schooler was tried in Ipswich and found guilty of killing Mary Scholy on the path to Piscataqua.
The Great Colonial Hurricane and the Wreck of the Angel Gabriel, August, 1635
Ipswich and the American Revolution, Part 2: The Revolutionary War
On June 10th, 1776, the men of Ipswich, in Town-meeting assembled, instructed their Representatives, that if the Continental Congress should for the safety of the said Colonies Declare them Independent of the Kingdom of Great Britain, they will solemnly engage with their lives and Fortunes to support them in the Measure.
County Street
County Street is in the Ipswich Architectural Preservation District andย has some of the oldest houses in town. The section between East and Summer Streets was originally called Cross St, and the section between the County Street Bridge and Poplar Street was known as Mill St. The roads were connected when the County Street Bridge was… Continue reading County Street















